My View: A monthly series summarizing my top 5 notables & current obsessions.
1. Summer vacation in Portland, Oregon! If I could make this post about one thing, it would be easy as this would be my whole topic. My husband and I were lucky enough to take a trip out to the West Coast to visit a dear friend. Portland is a great town, so much fun, but I really fell in love with the coast. Foggy, quiet, and romantic.
In addition to exploring all that Portland has to offer and the magnificent coastline, we also did some hiking. The whole trip was a great adventure, and I can't wait to go back!
2. New York City in the Summer. As much as I love to leave the city and travel, being in the city in the summer is a lot of fun. The city empties out as everyone goes on vacation and there are so many outdoor activities to take part in. One of my favorite places to visit is Coney Island, right here in Brooklyn. This year we explored during the sand castle competition and got some good ol' fashioned East Coast beach time! The ever popular Smorgasburg is now here, too. You want to save room for that!
3. Tomato season! August is all about tomatoes! My landlady has planted several tomato plants and given us a few, so I have been researching tomato recipes like crazy so we don't waste any! While the picture above was technically taken last Summer, it's one of my favorite Summer skirts, and very fitting this time of year. I bought it in LA at the amazing Shareen Vintage.
So this leads me to one of my favorite tomato recipes. Caprese salad. So easy and so delicious. Here is a wonderful read on how to make the perfect Caprese according to Eli Zabar.
My last two obsessions of the month are inspiring articles I stumbled upon. Separately they embody my interests in a nutshell. On one hand, wonderful handmade culture, and the second a blast to a glamorous past. Bobbins and Bombshells, right there. Right here, right now.
4. Swan's Island. The NY Times did a slideshow article on the historic weaving and dying process in my home state of Maine. Swan's Island was the focus. They are a yarn and hand woven blanket company that still uses natural dyes and the historic process.
Here is a not so great shot of a skein of one of Swan's Island yarns I bought on a trip back home a couple of years ago. When I find a yarn I super love, I hold on to it for awhile. Must find the right pattern...
5. Katharine Hepburn's Hollywood home. Here's where the "bombshells" part of this article comes in. I'm so obsessed with this house. Read the full article on Elle and get ready to drool.
I hope you are all enjoying what's left of one of the funnest months of the year! Let me know your August highlights in the comments below.
You can also find me on Twitter (@BobbinBombshell) and Instagram (@bobbinbombshell and @bobbinsandbombshells) where I have shared these photos, articles, and more in the past month. Stop by and say hello.